Minimum Qualifications & Benefits
Located in the heart of the city of Greensboro, the UNCG Police Department is a proactive professional state law enforcement agency which serves and protects the lives and property of a student body and staff population in excess of 20,000, as well as the surrounding community. The UNCG Police Department has 35 full-time sworn law enforcement officers, 3 part-time Reserve Officers, and 19 non-sworn personnel.
Minimum Qualifications and Hiring Process for Sworn Employees
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Be a United States Citizen
- Currently possess or be able to obtain a valid NC Drivers License
- Graduation from high school or GED
- Have an Honorable Military Discharge, if applicable
- Successful completion of a certified Basic law Enforcement Training Academy (B.L.E.T.)
- Be in good physical health
- Pass preinterview and oral interview process
- Pass an entry level written examination & police officer physical ability test (POPAT)
- Pass an extensive background investigation including psychological, medical, and drug screening examinations
- Have not been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor
- Additional 10% Shift Pay for Night Time Assignments
- Officers possessing an Associate, Batchelor or Master Degree will receive an additional 2.5%, 5%, or 7.5%.
Benefits for all Employees
- Paid Vacation - earn 7.8 - 18 hours per month depending on years of service
- Paid Holidays - 12 holidays are recognized annually
- Paid Sick Leave - Employees earn 96 hours sick leave per year
- Medical / Dental / Life Insurance
- Retirement Program - Eligible for retirement benefits after 30 years of service or age 55.
- State 401(k) investment which the State matches 6% of your salary.
- Educational Tuition Assistance: Three free classes a year
- All Uniforms & Equipment are purchased by the Department
- Many Other Training Opportunities
While it is prefered that applicants be B.L.E.T. certified, the Department will sponsor qualified candidates through the Police Academy should a job offer be made. The Department only seeks qualified, motivated, idealistic candidates to maintain the high quality of law enforcement services that the Department strives to provide the community.