GDOT staff along with identified stakeholders, including the UNC Greensboro Police Department, are working together to develop a Vision Zero Action Plan for Greensboro. Working groups have been formalized for the Emphasis Areas shown below. The Action Plan will layout a road map to eliminating crashes resulting in fatalities and serous injuries, A draft of the Action Plan is expected to be completed in December and will include public input as well.
Vision Zero Greensboro website: WWW.GREENSBORO-NC.
Draft Vision Zero Objectives:
- Prevent crashes resulting in serious injuries and fatalities.
- Promote a safe systems approach to transportation in Greensboro
- Engage partners and the public to foster a culture of safety.
1. Speed and Driver Awareness: Data analysis identified speeding as the leading issue in Greensboro, and focuses on keeping drivers alert, which includes driving under the influence and distracted driving. Primary discussion focused on engineering and enforcement solutions, including slower speed designs in more sensitive contexts, stricter municipal regulations against cell phone use and distracted driving, and neighborhood traffic calming.
2. Run Off the Road and Protecting All Users: Data analysis revealed over half of Greensboro and Guilford County fatalities involved a vehicle departing the roadway or crossing the centerline. Primary discussion focused on engineering and education/encouragement solutions.
3. Protecting Vulnerable Users: This issue has a strong focus on pedestrians, bicyclist, and motorcyclists. It addresses the needs of all users and ensures adequate facilities are a consideration in community design. Discussion focused on identifying solutions that encourage safe pedestrian behaviors, increase motor vehicle awareness, and understanding of motorcycle data and ride populations.